grub-devel

Re: passing options to grub in xen,openfirmware and efi

From: Olaf Hering
Subject: Re: passing options to grub in xen,openfirmware and efi
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 17:10:11 +0200

On Wed, Apr 29, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> I'm aware of the problem and I fully agree with you. Automatic install
> doesn't use those and I think the reason for it was to specify root in
> early days of porting. I don't think it's used for anything nowadays.

For PV guests the use case is simple: provide a generic grub binary,
which recognizes optional knobs from the domU.cfg. This will be used to
select one of the configured devices as root.
I can imagine that this can be used for OF or EFI as well.

> Also unless there is a good usecase for having command line parsing, I'm
> all for killing existing ieee1275 parsing altogether and not introducing
> any parsing in the future.

So you want to dumb it down to the 80s PC level, even if some firmware
implementations can set knobs?!

Olaf