grub-devel

Re: latest grub2 & unaligned pointer in gfxmenu

From: Toomas Soome
Subject: Re: latest grub2 & unaligned pointer in gfxmenu
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 13:01:39 +0200

> On 16.02.2015, at 10:14, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 15.02.2015 16:57, Toomas Soome wrote:
>>
>> ah, nevermind the gfxmenu;
>>
>> the bug was triggered by [ -s filename ] test, with non-existing file. what
>> happens is that grub_zfs_open() will get an error,  calls zfs_unmount and
>> returns error code. then grub_file_open() jumps to fail_ label, calls
>> grub_file_close(), which in turn gets back to zfs_unmount() and you get null
>> pointer dereferences.
>>
>> so, the bug is about zfs_unmount() function and the fix is also simple,
>> zfs_unmount should return if data == NULL.
>>
> Sorry, it doesn't make any sense. In kern/file.c at fail label you have:
>  if (device)
>    grub_device_close (device);
>
>  /* if (net) grub_net_close (net);  */
>
>  grub_free (file);
>
>  grub_memcpy (grub_file_filters_enabled, grub_file_filters_all,
>              sizeof (grub_file_filters_enabled));
>
> Which has only grub_free, no grub_file_close call. Do you see sth
> different there?
> What kind of ZFS is it? Is it a simple one-device one or something more
> complicated?

ah, damn, i forgot to check against master branch, yes indeed, kern/file.c is
different, apparently I have messed it up somehow:D with current version from
master it makes more sense;) time to double check the git diff master;)

the zfs layout itself does not matter, the defect appeared on both single disk
and raidz, as the root cause was the an attempt to dereference NULL pointer as
an result of second call to zfs_unmount. but as we already established, somehow
the grub_file_open() code itself was missing update and current code should
help to prevent it (altho I would still have NULL pointer check in
zfs_unmount() ;)

so, sorry for noise:)

rgds,
toomas