grub-devel

Re: [grub-devel] loongson-2f mini-pc (fuloong) elf image generation.

From: Aleš Nesrsta
Subject: Re: [grub-devel] loongson-2f mini-pc (fuloong) elf image generation.
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:30:18 +0200

Hi Javier,

probably last chance to find the reason of Your GRUB USB keyboard trouble is the debugging.

I don't know how much debugging experience do You have, so there is short "manual" what You need to have/to do:

1.
You'll need to have some another computer with serial port (or working USB to serial converter) and serial null-modem cable.

2.
You should connect serial port of Fuloong 2F with second computer by null-modem serial cable.

3.
You should configure properly serial port on second PC to be:
speed 9600
data bits 8
stop bits 1
parity none
HW handshake none
SW handshake none
(no echo)

e.g. on Linux it should be enough to run for port /dev/ttyS0 (as root or via sudo):
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 9600 -echo
(Be sure that serial port is not used by some another application, like e.g. UPS daemon "nut" etc.)

4.
Start capturing on second PC, e.g. on Linux simply by:
cat /dev/ttyS0 > capture_file

5.
Prepare Fuloong 2F for debugging:

- we try to use Your "normal" image in first debugging try, i.e. image with both OHCI and EHCI modules

- add "serial" module into Your GRUB image if it is not already there

- add following three commands BEFORE "insmod ohci" in grub.cfg, i.e. it should look like that:
serial
terminal_output console serial
debug=all
insmod ohci
insmod ehci

- if You will have connected USB disk as I recommend below, add also "ls" command AFTER "insmod ehci" (similarly as in previous test), i.e. it should look finally like that:
serial
terminal_output console serial
debug=all
insmod ohci
insmod ehci
ls

6.
Connect USB keyboard (and possibly also USB disk) to Fuloong 2F and
boot GRUB.

You should see lot of scrolling debugging texts during GRUB booting (and the same texts should be included in capture file on second PC).

Be patient - the booting of GRUB takes long time when debugging via serial line is enabled (specially with "all"). If all USB related things are OK, the debugging output will never stop - but You can stop capturing after approx. at least one or maybe better two minute(s) or more. If the debugging texts stops (it should not normally happen), then You can stop capturing also.

7.
Send captured debugging text to me.

I hope I didn't forget any important part and I didn't write any nonsense in "manual" above and You will have not problem with debugging and capturing...

BR,
Ales

Hi,
thanks for the test(s).

It looks like there are two possible cases:
- OHCI driver is not working on fuloong 2f
- root hub events handling is still not correct on fuloong 2f

Fortunately fuloong 2F has more or less classic serial interface so we probably
can capture debug output from whole USB subsystem.
Do You have some another PC which can capture debug output from Fuloong 2f via
serial cable?
If yes, we will contiue with tests at the end of week, currently I am busy.

BR,
Ales

| Hm.
| Could You make following additional test?
|
| 4.
| Boot the PC. During boot check this:
| - If USB disk blinks when ls command is issued (i.e. if USB disk is
| accessed by GRUB).

No, it doesn't.

| - If ls command output contains somewhere at least "usb(0)" or "usb(0)
| usb(0,msdos1)" or whatever similar.

Unfortunately no.

| 5.
| Send the result to us. :-)