grub-devel

Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:05:20 -0600

On Mar 18, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 18.03.2013 19:56, Chris Murphy wrote:
>

>> On Mar 18, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Bob Lemar <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Guys, forget about 4K sectors. The problem is starting USB attached drive.
>>
>> Other USB drives aren't causing the reported problem, including other USB
>> 3TB drives.
>>
>> Maybe the issue is the computer is USB 2.0 and this particular 4Kn drive is
>> in a USB 3.0 enclosure, even if in theory the USB 3.0 drive should just
>> fallback to 2.0.
>>

> It doesn't matter. I also tried with a 160GB 4Kn native disk. It wasn't
> bootable on any BIOS-based system either

What this user is reporting isn't an attempt to boot off the 4Kn disk. The EFI
CSM seems to be hanging just by virtue of having the 4Kn disk attached (via
USB). That disk has a GPT with PMBR, I had him zero first 5 sectors so they
don't contain boot loader code or other garbage.

Nevertheless what you're reporting, if its a wide spread behavior, obviates any
value of 4Kn drives breathing life into MBR/BIOS such that they could support
2.2+TB boot drives. At least, short of flash updates for the BIOS.

Chris Murphy