grub-devel

RE: USB3 3TB HDD boot

From: Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)
Subject: RE: USB3 3TB HDD boot
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:26:49 +0000

One reason is that 4Kn forces all I/Os to be aligned, while 512e allows
non-aligned I/Os.  512e drives are somewhat obligated to ensure that writing
one 512 byte logical block won't affect the other seven 512-byte logical blocks
sharing that physical block if a power loss occurs or an error happens; this is
not simple to do. It is cheaper and easier just to ship the drive as 4Kn and
force software to adapt.  That's why you are seeing this first in cheap
large-capacity USB drives.

CD/DVDs use 2048 byte logical block sizes with the CDFS ISO 9660 filesystem,
and most systems can boot from CDs nowadays, so booting from non-512 byte
logical block sizes is not impossible.  There's just a lot of legacy BIOS, MBR
based code that assumes 512 byte logical blocks on hard drives (and 32-bit
LBAs).

UEFI systems using GPT are likely to support booting from 4Kn drives and use
64-bit LBAs throughout.  Some OSes already claim boot support from 4Kn drives
in those systems.  The UEFI spec has included warnings about detecting the
logical block size since 2006.

---
Rob Elliott    HP Server Storage