grub-devel

RE: Boot dell in uefi mode from usb stick

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: Boot dell in uefi mode from usb stick
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:05:30 +0000

Just to confirm, the following copies the required files:

$ sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --boot-directory=/mnt/sdb1/EFI/BOOT
--efi-directory=/mnt/sdb1 --removable

$ cat /mnt/sdb1/EFI/BOOT/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry "core" {
  linux (hd1,gpt2)/boot/vmlinuz quiet noswap tce=sdb2 tz=GMT-4 blacklist=bcma
blacklist=ssb blacklist=b43 text
  initrd (hd1,gpt2)/boot/core.gz
}

In the F2 dell menu, you need to change from legacy (bios) boot to uefi, create
a boot entry and navigate to /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

Then things work :)   (with a 3.0.21 kernel)