grub-devel

Re: Boot dell in uefi mode from usb stick

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Boot dell in uefi mode from usb stick
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:36:36 -0700

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM, John Frankish <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is possible, but I've been trying to boot a dell laptop
> (latitude e6220) in uefi mode from a usb stick without success.
>
> Using:
>
> $ sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --boot-directory=/mnt/sdc1/efi
> --removable
> Installation finished. No error reported.

This list is for grub development, user support questions should be
sent to help-grub (which I've CCd in my reply).
grub-install's --boot-directory option is for specifying the boot
directory, grub-install's --efi-directory option is for specifying the
directory which is the mountpoint for the EFI System Partition. Since
this is a removable device, you probably don't want it as a semi
permanent EFI boot entry, and you probably want other machines to be
able to boot from it, so you should add the "--removable" option as
well.

Assuming that sdc1 is a proper EFI System Partition, mounted at
/mnt/sdc1/, that gives you something like "sudo grub-install
--target=x86_64-efi --boot-directory=/mnt/sdc1/boot/
--efi-directory=/mnt/sdc1/ --removable". The --efi-directory option
requires grub 2.00 beta6 or newer.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)