grub-devel

Re: Standalone Application in GRUB

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Standalone Application in GRUB
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 11:46:05 +0200

On 31.05.2012 08:44, Parul Aggarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a standalone application which I want to run in GRUB environment
> i.e. for e.g at GRUB prompt. So the flow would be I enter grub prompt
> and from there run my standalone application binary. By adding multiboot
> header to the binary I am able to do that.
>
> Now in my application I want to access GRUB functions for e.g.
> grub_printf(), so when I add this to my application and run the
> application hangs. Can anyone suggest how to access GRUB functions from
> my application? Is it possible?

No. GRUB does a harakiri after launching its payload. No functions is
available after boot.

> What is the method defined in GRUB to run a custom application which
> uses grub functions? Is grub modules the way or we can go with
> standalone binary?

Only GRUB modules can use GRUB functions. But be sure that:
1) You compile it together with the rest of GRUB for dependency tracking
(see also how grub-extras does it)
2) Make sure that your module is under GPLv3+. You can distribute it
dual-licensed under GPLv3+ and something else if you wish but GPLv3+ has
to be one of available licenses.