grub-devel

Standalone Application in GRUB

From: Parul Aggarwal
Subject: Standalone Application in GRUB
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:14:02 +0530

Hello,

I have a standalone application which I want to run in GRUB environment i.e. for e.g at GRUB prompt. So the flow would be I enter grub prompt and from there run my standalone application binary. By adding multiboot header to the binary I am able to do that.

Now in my application I want to access GRUB functions for e.g. grub_printf(), so when I add this to my application and run the application hangs. Can anyone suggest how to access GRUB functions from my application? Is it possible?

What is the method defined in GRUB to run a custom application which uses grub functions? Is grub modules the way or we can go with standalone binary?

Please suggest.

Thanks,