grub-devel

Nested func attr and gcc < 4.5

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Nested func attr and gcc < 4.5
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:59:19 +0100

Hello, all. It seems that NESTED_FUNC_ATTR strikes again. This time since most of our devs use gcc >= 4.5 (I use 4.6) where the compiler bug is fixe, it's a bigger problem than before. So I propose the following: If gcc has this bug, compile with mregparms=1 and show a message recommendation to upgrade. Since we may be unable to execute target programs, we have to rely on version check but it shouldn't cause much trouble. This way we continue to support gcc < 4.5 without sacrificing reliability and finally get rid of the need of NESTED_FUNC_ATTR. The only downside is increased binary size with gcc < 4.5.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko