grub-devel

Re: luks testing and source deb pkg

From: James M. Leddy
Subject: Re: luks testing and source deb pkg
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:31:55 -0400

On 11/02/2011 01:59 PM, Lukas Anzinger wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently also trying to use to the luks code from trunk by using
a modified Debian package and the latest source from the Bazaar
repository.

Please let me know where I can find this tree so that I can test myself. Additionally, if you know if it should "just work" to just install the Debian version to Ubuntu, please let me know. I'm a recent convert from Fedora so a lot of this is new to me.

However after entering the password, the grub menu doesn't show up and
it states that the password is incorrect. I used 12345 which is
obviously very hard to misspell repeatedly. I then tried to insert the
master password from the LUKS partition directly into the source code
and luckily succeeded with that! I'll post the snippet and my
modifications to the package tomorrow if someone is interested. Since
there is practically no information about this in the internet, I'll
probably write a tutorial on how to do a full system encryption
"TrueCrypt style" (i.e. with an encrypted /boot partition).

Expect one from me as well @ jmleddy.wordpress.com

So my question is, James, how did you create your encrypted partition
and what file system did you use?

I always use "cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda1" (on Debian Sid) which
uses aes-cbc-essiv as a default value AFAIK and ext3.

That's exactly what I did, except with ext4. The file system shouldn't matter in evaluating the password. From dmsetup table:

aes-cbc-essiv:sha256

Could you also append your tared "debian" folder which generates the
grub package(s)?

Sure thing when I have a little more time.

Regards,

Lukas