grub-devel

Re: How to debug 'out of disk' error.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: How to debug 'out of disk' error.
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:38:10 -0400

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 02:50:01PM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> I have another idea. Could you try GRUB 1.97 and GRUB Legacy? A similar
> report on our BTS seems to indicate that GRUB Legacy works. Major
> difference between Legacy and latest GRUB2 is that GRUB2 uses C-wrappers
> around BIOS calls whereas in GRUB Legacy they are in asm. The change
> happened after 1.97

I managed to get the maker of the board to confirm the BIOS has a bug.
They are going to fix it.  It incorrectly returns error when you try to
do LBA access beyond 8GB, which makes grub fall back to CHS and report
'out of disk'.  They have been trying to add SD card support to the BIOS
and I think they broke this in the process.

So grub is fine as far as I can tell.

--
Len Sorensen