grub-devel

RE: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: Treutwein Bernhard
Subject: RE: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:12:33 +0200

Hi Robert,

although I have different requirements, these are similar enough
to yours that I might give you tips ...

In your case I would try to use tincore (http://tinycorelinux.com/).
You should install the ntfs and grub2 extensions (see:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index.html
and browse to grub2.tgz and ntfs3g.tgz

I tried it quickly booting my recovery USB stick with an
installed Grub Legacy, which chainloads into tinycore's
Grub2 (which is installed in the same directory as my
Grub Legacy) and it recognizes the ntfs filesystems
on the hard disk (the USB stick is recognized as (hd0)
and the SATA hard disk is (hd1) with three ntfs partitions
in which I can tab into the filesystem ...

You should be able to loopback into the CD images ...

BTW: The tinycore setup of Grub 2 does not support the
atomagic configuration of grub.cfg in favour of directly
editing grub.cfg (I really prefer this way).

regards
--
  Bernhard