grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 79, Issue 2

From: James Miller
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 79, Issue 2
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 20:41:52 +0100

I've written an easy(ish) to understand paper on installing windows 7(primarily) and linux side by side on a gpt partitioned disk.  When I've finished (it's from a clean install) I can boot windows from bootmgr and when I press escape ubuntu loads but from boot using grub-pc.  I'd like to be able to chainload the boot.img or core.img from the bootmgr with the grub-efi-amd64 files on the efi-sys partition.  Any advice please.   Installing the grub files on the efi-sys partiion is not a problem but I can't at the moment create a suitable boot.img that will make it to my gpt partition.   I've tried using boot.img and core.img but I am unable to create a chainloader that will load grub.efi.  My efi sys partition structure is as follows - below the EFI directory is the microsoft directory and the grub directory.  The instructions for preparing the gpt partition etc is attached.  If you've any comments on the document I've attached then let me know.  If you think it is ok then perhaps you could post it somewhere for me but I'd appreciate knowing the above so I could finish writing it myself.  Thanks.