grub-devel

Re: release notes for 1.99 ?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: release notes for 1.99 ?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:19:52 +0100

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 08:40:05AM -0700, Bruce Edge wrote:
> Is there a release notes page for the upcoming 1.99 release?
> (Or any other 1.99 specific info either for that matter)

There was only one entry for 1.99 in our NEWS file.  I've gone through
ChangeLog and fleshed that out a lot.  Here's what I have so far.
Developers, please do review this, correct anything that's wrong, and
add anything important that's missing.

Entries are roughly in reverse chronological order, like ChangeLog.

* New relocator.  Allows for more kernel support and more
  straightforward loader writing.

* Handle USB pendrives exposed as floppies.

* New Automake-based build system.

* Add `sendkey' command (i386-pc only).

* ZFS support in `grub-install' and `grub-mkconfig'.  Note: complete
  functionality requires external ZFS implementation (available from
  grub-extras).

* Support 1.x versions of mdadm metadata.

* Fix corruption when reading Reiserfs directory entries.

* Bidirectional text and diacritics support.

* Skip LVM snapshots.

* MIPS Yeeloong firmware port.

* Change grub-mkdevicemap to emit /dev/disk/by-id/ names where possible
  on GNU/Linux.

* Add `grub-mkconfig' support for Xen with Linux.

* Add `grub-mkconfig' support for initrd images on Fedora 13.

* Support >3GiB and <16MiB RAM in i386-qemu.

* Add support for Cirrus 5446 and Bochs video cards.

* Load more appropriate video drivers automatically in `grub-mkconfig'.

* USB improvements, including hotplugging/hotunplugging, hub support,
  and USB serial support.

* AMD Geode CS5536 support.

* Extensive updates to the Texinfo documentation.

* Add `grub-probe' support for the btrfs filesystem, permitting / to
  reside on btrfs as long as /boot is on a filesystem natively supported
  by GRUB.

* Handle symbolic links under /dev/mapper on GNU/Linux.

* Handle installation across multiple partition table types.

* Add `cmostest' command (i386/x86_64 only).

* Add support for DM-RAID disk devices on GNU/Linux.

* Remove `grub-mkisofs'.  `grub-mkrescue' now uses GNU xorriso to build
  CD images.

* `grub-mkrescue' support for EFI, coreboot, and QEMU platforms.

* Unify `grub-mkimage' source code across platforms.

* Fix VGA (as opposed to VBE) video driver, formerly a terminal driver.

* Add menu hotkey support.

* Add support for the nilfs2 filesystem.

* `grub-probe' and `grub-mkconfig' support for NetBSD.

* Support setting a background image in `grub-mkconfig'.

* Support multiple terminals in `grub-mkconfig'.

* Regexp support.

* MIPS multiboot2 support.

* Multiboot2 tag support.

* sunpc partition table support.

* Add a number of new language features to GRUB script: `for', `while',
  `until', `elif', function parameters, `break', `continue', and
  `shift'.

* Support nested partition tables.  GRUB now prefers to name partitions
  in the form `(hd0,msdos1,bsd1)' rather than `(hd0,1,a)'.

* Speed up consecutive hostdisk operations on the same device.

* Compile parts of `grub-emu' as modules.