grub-devel

grub2 back to lilo ?

From: bc w
Subject: grub2 back to lilo ?
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 09:55:30 +0800

Hi

     I think the problem proposed by this article is very important.

    The article URL is http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7004/1/
                               http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7004/2/

    It said

"In the distant past, Linux used a boot loader called lilo. Lilo was a pain, because whenever you changed anything, like adding a new kernel, you had to reboot into the distro where you originally installed lilo to update your disk's boot partition. You couldn't run lilo from anywhere else because of version incompatibilities. If you forgot which distro was the one allowed to run lilo, you were in trouble.

In 2001, grub changed that -- you could make a small shared partition for /boot and update it from anywhere. Huge improvement!

Now, 9 years later, we have grub2 -- and we're back to the bad old days of lilo."

"Instead, you're supposed to edit files inside /etc/grub.d, plus another file, /etc/default/grub. That's all very well ... except that those directories aren't accessible to other distros. If you've set up grub on your Ubuntu 9.10 partition but you're currently running 10.04, or Fedora or Gentoo, what happens if you need to add a new grub2 entry? Apparently you're supposed to reboot back to Ubuntu 9.10, and lord help you if you forget and accidentally run update-grub from some other system. Ouch! Is this a case of "Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it?""

How can we solve this problem?