grub-devel

Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel vi

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel via BIOS ?!?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:38:25 -0600

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Robo L <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the reply and Your time.
>
> I would like to clarify the issue.
> First I need to hide the very first Welcom message because I need to hide
> GRUB for other users of MS Windows on my PC. I need it only for myself.

I'm not entirely certain, but:

(1) I think GRUB is licensed under GPLv3 or higher only
(2) GPLv3 covers what were considered to be loopholes in GPLv2
(firmware enforced signature, software-as-a-service)
therefore
(3) Your use of GRUB (copying it into the boot record) requires you to
provide your users with notice of their GPL rights to your version of
GRUB.

So one can hardly say that "another user on my PC not venture a guess
that there is a GRUB" if you are required to tell them that GRUB is
there and offer them the source code.

> Richard: redirection is not good idea for me, becouse II need classical
> console. I wrote a module with hidden password (secret process - no response
> on console - silent) If match then redirect to boot linux. The nature of the
> process is that another user on my PC not venture a guess that there is a
> GRUB and secound linux OS!

Security through obscurity is never a good idea and especially not
when you have to give away the source code.