grub-devel

Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel vi

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel via BIOS ?!?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:52:24 -0600

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Robo L <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a problem with remove the message "Welcome to GRUB!" in text Mode.
> In source 1.96 I remove Welcome text message, when call function
> grub_printf().
> In gfx mod is all OK, but If I not initialize gfx mode grub steel show
> "Welcome to GRUB!" inverted (black on white)
> I mean, that Grub print via lowlevel printig (int 0x10) with proprietary
> string data.
> Please can You tell me what is a reason? How is a solution? Is it a correct
> by the licence?

The license does not allow you to install or run GRUB on a computer
without telling the user, if that's what you're after.

The license lets you remove the welcome message, but you still MUST
inform the user of their GPL rights to the copy of GRUB you've given
them (and if you are using a copy of GRUB modified to remove the
welcome message, then you are responsible for meeting the GPL source
code copy requirements yourself, and can't simply direct users to an
official download page).