grub-devel

Re: [multiboot2] Tagged multiboot2 header

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [multiboot2] Tagged multiboot2 header
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:46:01 +0100

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:49:55AM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> address@hidden architecture
> +The field @samp{architecture} specifies the Central Processing Unit
> +Instruction Set Architecture. Since @samp{magic} isn't a palindrome
> +it already specifies the endianness ISAs differing only in endianness
> +recieve the same ID. @samp{0} means 32-bit (protected) mode of i386.

ELF specifies architecture and endianess; can we use that?

We already rely on ELF header for other things, but they have counterparts
in aout-kludge fields.  So I guess this opens the question on whether we want
to continue supporting aout-kludge for Multiboot 2 or ditch it entirely.

Thoughts?

Btw, would be better if the addition of tagged fields itself would be separate
from other things.  It speeds up the process and helps understanding the
changes (both now and afterwards when looking at Bazaar history).

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi