grub-devel

Re: [multiboot2] Tagged multiboot2 header

From: demetrioussharpe
Subject: Re: [multiboot2] Tagged multiboot2 header
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:42:05 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Millan <address@hidden>
To: The development of GNU GRUB <address@hidden>
Sent: Fri, Jan 29, 2010 3:52 pm

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:49:55AM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> address@hidden Header tags
> address@hidden General tag structure
> +Tags constitutes a buffer of structures immediately following each other.
> +Every structure has following format:
> +
> address@hidden
> address@hidden
> + +-------------------+
> +0 | type |
> +4 | size |
> +8-11 | optional |
> + +-------------------+
> address@hidden group
> address@hidden example

This looks fine. Please go ahead with the proposed new layout.

As for the addition of new fields for architecture / endianess, I wonder
if it makes sense to continue supporting aout-kludge in Multiboot 2. It
seems that all of the projects interested in Multiboot use ELF natively
themselves and shouldn't have trouble with it, whereas projects that don't
use ELF are almost invariably proprietary OS and never showed any interest
in Multiboot.

Is there a way to do this that would make it binary format agnostic?

Dee