grub-devel

Re: Check for device type (block/character) in grub-setup?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Check for device type (block/character) in grub-setup?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:35:01 +0100

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 06:31:02PM +0100, Grégoire Sutre wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 03:54:49AM +0100, Grégoire Sutre wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering why there is no check for device type (block/character)
>>> in  grub-setup.c whereas the function probe() in grub-probe.c exits
>>> with  error if the device is not of the expected type. Shouldn't
>>> there be a  similar check in grub-setup?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> I guess that a similar  behavior could be observed on FreeBSD, but I
>>> can't actually test this.
>>
>> Please make the code generic if possible (i.e. accept both character and
>> block devices).
>
> I don't understand what you mean here.  I assumed that it's better to
> use character devices when accessing disks in GRUB utils, isn't it so?
> Moreover, at least on NetBSD, when a block device is mounted, it cannot
> be opened (device busy), and this would be a problem with grub-probe.

I don't think it matters to us whether a device is character or block
based, other than to perform sanity checks in it.  Tools like grub-setup
are supposed to be happy with either.

(I find it a bit odd that disks are represented by NetBSD as character
devices, but, whatever...)

> However, from a user view-point, it could be nice on NetBSD to accept
> stripped device names (e.g. only `wd0d' or even `wd0') and automatically
> get the associated device file (with opendisk(3)). This is what system
> tools do, e.g. `disklabel wd0' or `fdisk wd0' actually opens
> `/dev/rwd0d' (on i386).

I find this a bit confusing TBH.  It seems unpredictable and would make
GRUB inconsistent across platforms.

BUT

I think it's fine if you patch this up in the NetBSD version of GRUB,
if you want it to be consistent with the other utilities.

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi