grub-devel

Re: gettext.c patch: reuse memory

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: gettext.c patch: reuse memory
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:40:55 +0000

Hi,

On Nov/29/2009, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Just some numbers: if there are 1000 strings used (far too much! Grub
> loader will not have so much or users will not use in the same session)
> and each string is 50 characters (far too much too :-) ) strings are
> usually shorter) and the translation is 50 characters the list will use
> aprox. 100 KB.
>
> (50 + 50) * 1000 / 1024 = 97.65 KB

I think that this is more like (7 + 7) * 60 = 840 bytes, less than 1 KB.

One approach is that we use the list for now and I prepare a benchmark
code (it's very easy). When more things are translated we can reconsider
it with some numbers and not "guesses" and "I think".

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info