grub-devel

gettext.c patch: reuse memory

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: gettext.c patch: reuse memory
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:49:50 +0000

Hello,

This week I realised of a quite big mistake in the gettext module. Every
time that the user of this module was asking for string translation,
gettext module was allocating new memory and returning it. So if the
user was asking 10 times for the same string, gettext was creating 10
new strings and leaking memory.

With the attached patch, gettext module saves in a list the
translations.  So if a user asks again for the same translation it
returns the same pointer to the already allocated string instead of a
new one.

If someone wants to discuss things maybe in the IRC is better (but feel
free to talk it here too). There are different approaches, and the
current one is not perfect but I don't see any perfect design.

Reviewers of the patch?

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany