grub-devel

Re: powerpc/sparc problems

From: Bean
Subject: Re: powerpc/sparc problems
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:05:46 +0800

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM, David Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Bean <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:31:12 +0800
>
>> To use the libgcc, we need to link the object file, this doesn't work
>> in system that use non ELF format like mach-o.
>
> How can one even build programs in the mach-o format if linking
> object files is not allowed? :-)
>
> If this is just for embedded cross compile situations, just forget it.
>
> We just require that you have a fully functioning cross build
> environment and that means you need to have a C library around.

Hi,

One of the main platform of powerpc-ieee1275 is apple's ppc machine,
which installs OSX by default. But OSX uses mach-o object and
executable file, not ELF. The mach-o image generated by gcc of OSX
isn't recognized by the ieee1275 firmware.

--
Bean

gitgrub home: http://github.com/grub/grub/
my fork page: http://github.com/bean123/grub/