grub-devel

Re: powerpc/sparc problems

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: powerpc/sparc problems
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:29:44 -0400

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 03:28 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > Do you think we should just revert it?
>
> Probably.

The purpose of the patch was to remove the requirement that the target
libc development package is present.  That's a common situation for
x86_64 systems that may have a 32-bit capable compiler, and maybe the
32-bit libc installed as a dependency of a 32-bit package (e.g. wine),
but no the files necessary to link against the 32-bit libc.

I don't know why the checks need to be reinstated, but if it's really
needed to be done, we could use the trick described in the gcc manual:

`-print-libgcc-file-name'
     Same as `-print-file-name=libgcc.a'.

     This is useful when you use `-nostdlib' or `-nodefaultlibs' but
     you do want to link with `libgcc.a'.  You can do

          gcc -nostdlib FILES... `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name`

This way, it should be possible to check if the functions are in libgcc
without requiring libc.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin