grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:21:34 +0200

2009/9/30 Bean <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Update:
>
> Change the region structure, remove region tree as it's duplicate with
> similar function of widget.
> Change layout manger, only allow one dimension (direction = horizontal
> or vertical).
> Add margin_top, margin_left, margin_right, margin_bottom,
> border_width, border_height, border_color property for panel

With these its should be quite easy to put together some nice designs
(or at least ones that hint at the nice designs that would be
possible).

Unfortunately it seems I will have less time for playing with this now.

> Create transparent panel when background is null.

It's nice that a transparent bitmap is not required for that.

> Remove label widget, adds image and text widget, as the layout
> function of label is duplicate with panel.

It is not. A label can have focus (the whole icon+text widget) but panel cannot.

It will be impossible to make both focused at once without special trickery.

> Add selected state. You can specify the normal mode and selected mode
> bitmap with something like this:
>
> top_left =
> "/menu/menu_tl.png,,black/cyan,#0x250F:/menu/select_tl.png,,black/green,/"
>
> Likewise, to set normal mode and selected mode color:
>
> color = "yellow:light-green"
>
> : is used to separate the two parts.
>
> The demo first shows normal state, then selected state, then return.

I finally found utility in the screen widget. While panels should
enforce that their content is not overlapped and is nicely and orderly
aligned it should be possible to place panels or labels freely in the
screen widget so that they can be positioned over particular places of
a bitmap if desired.

I hoped it would be possible to create custom layouts in lua but it's
not necessary to use scripting in most cases and it's moved out of
grub core now. Still I would want to see some way that would allow for
creating arced panels or the like, eventually.

Thanks

Michal