grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:51:11 -0500

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2009/9/19 address@hidden <address@hidden>:
>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> why does the menu system have a glyph drawing function?
>>>
>>> Is the one in font.c not suitable?
>>>
>>> Why are there two methods for returning text width and height, one in
>>> gfx_region in pixels, the other in text_region in characters? Does
>>> size in characters make any sense? There might be proportional fonts
>>> or at least fonts of different size in the future.
>>
>> Pixels and proportional fonts are meaningless to a serial console.
>>
> So is element placement.

I know of multiple systems that support multiple columns, status bar,
menu bar, popup dialogs, etc in text mode over a serial connection.
If those things are considered out of scope for a bootloader, I'd tend
to agree.  But people seem to be defining rich interfaces for grub and
to do so requires the ability to measure sizes in characters.