grub-devel

Re: porting Grub to Xen

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: porting Grub to Xen
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:36:27 +0200

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Ferenc Wagner<address@hidden> wrote:
> "Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Neither have I, but xen-devel says MiniOS is BSD, and should be
>>> acceptable for Grub.
>>
>> If it's under MIT or new BSD license it is. However no code with
>> unclear licensing can be used in grub2
>
> The mini-os code has been reviewed and gained an explicit BSD license
> just now to clear this issue up.
Can you post the link? There are different BSD licenses and we need to
check that it's really compatible. Even if the license is ok I feel
however against making a whole port depending on non-FSF code. If
someone agrees to make is from scratch I would prefer it. If noone
does then I would be ok with you making this port based on stubdom.
However I don't want grub2 to depend on stubdom (this could be
discussed). Then all files based on stubdom will have to be separated
from the main code and correctly aknowledged where it comes from. We
will need a copyright assignment from you. Also we need a permission
from Yoshinori K Okuji or Marco Gerards
> Neither have I, but I'm willing to dig up info on this, just provide
> some explicit questions, please.  Anyway, I've got the IRC logs of nyu
> promising to get Grub going on Xen for me. :)  On the other hand, Grub
> 0.97 has been ported to Xen already, the code is available in the Xen
> tree under stubdom/grub{.patches}, if you are willing to take a look.
They can be used only if they didn't drop "or later" clause of grub1's
license and only under same terms as BSD code