grub-devel

Re: porting Grub to Xen

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: porting Grub to Xen
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 21:37:15 +0200

"Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Neither have I, but xen-devel says MiniOS is BSD, and should be
>> acceptable for Grub.
>
> If it's under MIT or new BSD license it is. However no code with
> unclear licensing can be used in grub2

The mini-os code has been reviewed and gained an explicit BSD license
just now to clear this issue up.

>> Actually, I wonder if Grub could do any better booting paravirtual
>> domains: you said Grub already knows how to boot Linux, it's even
>> multiboot compliant, but I'm not sure that really helps much in this
>> situation, where it has to replace a PV image with another.
>
> It really depends on how much xen is similar to normal environment.
> Unfortunately I have no deep knowledge of xen

Neither have I, but I'm willing to dig up info on this, just provide
some explicit questions, please.  Anyway, I've got the IRC logs of nyu
promising to get Grub going on Xen for me. :)  On the other hand, Grub
0.97 has been ported to Xen already, the code is available in the Xen
tree under stubdom/grub{.patches}, if you are willing to take a look.
--
Regards,
Feri.