grub-devel

Re: [RFC] general-usage real-mode loader

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [RFC] general-usage real-mode loader
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 17:55:18 +0200

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 02:22:57PM +0200, phcoder wrote:
> 4) DOS/Win9x and freedos. Especially the second one. They use extended
> chainloader functionality found in grub4dos. With rmkern loading freedos
> kernel should be really easy.

Since FreeDOS is free software, we could fix it to use Multiboot instead.

Ah, and there's a free replacement for NTLDR as well, see:

  http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/FreeLoader

> 6) Many other different proprietary and free OS. I don't know enough
> about them to say that this or that one can benefit from it but suppose
> many OS can be booted easier and more reliable with this functionality.
> 7) rmkern command. Experienced users, hobbysts and OS-developpers can
> enter manually the state in which they want their kernel to be loaded.
> May be handy also for reverse engineering

I think people (specially OS developers) should contemplate obsoleting the
i8086 someday...

Some of the examples you give are things we should indeed support (most
specially the chainloader), but I'm not sure if it's worthy to spend so
much effort in extending them.  IMHO we should push for a sane standard
like Multiboot instead.

But I can't tell you what to do with your time, of course...

--
Robert Millan