grub-devel

Re: Putting core.img anywhere

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Putting core.img anywhere
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:47:49 +0200

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:13:08AM +0200, Jean-Christophe Haessig wrote:

> As I stated earlier my disks are not DOS-partitioned (e.g.
> pvcreate /dev/hda). I didn't want to have one useless level

Turns out it wasn't as useless as you thought :-)

> since LVM already does the job (better).

LVM does the job of managing storage partitions, but not the "job" of reserving
a gap for GRUB to use.

Furthermore, the scheme you propose looks overly complicated [1] for the task
it's meant to accomplish [2].

Thinking about it, I think the root of your problem is that you would like
your storage system (LVM) to be completely unrelated to your boot system
(GRUB).  But BIOS legacy cruft won't let you do that.  So maybe a solution
that would work well for you is switching to Coreboot [3]?

[1] random-number-chain??
[2] we don't need anything fancy, just an area of disk that isn't used by
    anything else.
[3] http://www.coreboot.org/

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)