grub-devel

Re: Putting core.img anywhere

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Putting core.img anywhere
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:36:15 +0200

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:40:27AM +0200, Jean-Christophe Haessig wrote:
> > Furthermore, the scheme you propose looks overly complicated [1]
>
> Complicated ?? You must be kidding me ! A ten-year old would understand
> it. It is way more complicated to include filesystem support in a
> bootloader.
> In fact I thought about this scheme because one of the features of GRUB
> (compared to LILO) was to work without having to reinstall each time a
> kernel is altered. I included the random number chain scheme to keep the
> thing woking even if the core.img file was moved by accident. Random
> numbers were just here to minimize the risk of using a wrong block that
> just happens to have the correct value.
> But using a simple blocklist (just as LILO does) to locate the core.img
> would also work (and is quite less complicated), just a little less
> robust. I wonder why this isn't alredady possible, BTW.

Block lists aren't reliable, and a random number chain scheme looks overly
complex for solving a trivial problem (i.e. reserve enough raw space for
GRUB).

Please propose a scheme that is simple and robust.  It's not much to ask,
since we have that already by using partition tables.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)