grub-devel

Re: Some concern about the journal support

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Some concern about the journal support
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:32:58 +0800

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 15:45 -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>> can you send a message when GRUB2 CVS is considered no longer broken for
>> use with ext3? (so I'll know when is a good time for me to install a
>> newer version -- since I'm not in a hurry -- or is it a better bet
>> stability-wise within the next month, to go with a revision from May
>> instead?)
>
> I'm afraid it's not going to work this way.  I can imagine that some
> fixes will be applied, but it's also possible that they will be
> incomplete.  That would require further fixes.  I don't think anybody
> would want to be in the position to announce that ext3 is fixed and then
> announce the opposite, possibly within hours.
>
> The true stability is proven by testing and time.

Hi,

You're right, the journal code is not quite stable right now. Perhaps
we can use variable journal to control it. By default, it's not set so
that journal is disabled. After all, even if the fs is uncleaned, it
can still be bootable. If automatic booting fails, users can set
journal=1 and retry, if they're lucky, it could work without using fs
recover tools.

--
Bean