grub-devel

Re: Replacing the legacy "map" command

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Replacing the legacy "map" command
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 04:13:07 +0200

Then "drivemap" it is. I've already been delving into the depths of The
Source, though I'd have preferred it to be commented a bit more
exhaustively. Some times it's difficult to guess which methods to call,
and it took me a bit to realize that I had to check with the disk
"device" to see if it was a BIOS drive. Seems I had the wrong conception
of what the disk "device" should be.

By the way, floppies are usually also "BIOS drives". Should the command
filter them out as sources for mapping? I think so, because OS loaders
usually have different code for reading floppies and HDs. Concretely,
floppy code usually makes some assumptions about drive geometry, uses
only old CHS-like interfaces, and some things more I cannot remember
now... it's been long since I wrote anything distantly similar to a
bootloader.

Anyways, the "drivemap" module is just above the phase of a working
"hello world" - I'm happy! ^.^

Habbit