grub-devel

Re: Replacing the legacy "map" command

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Replacing the legacy "map" command
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:55:05 -0400

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 16:24 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:59:22AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >
> > Again, I'd like to see the command name shortened, perhaps to "drivemap"
> > or "map".  It's not like users will need to distinguish BIOS and
> > non-BIOS mappings.
>
> But then we're occupping generic namespace with arch-specific features.

I think it's OK.  If another architecture supports similar
functionality, then "drivemap" would still be fine, even if the
implementation is different.  If an architecture doesn't support it, the
command won't exist.

It's very unlikely that there will be two different mechanisms for drive
remapping, each of which should be available to the users.  And even
then, a switch could be added to force the preferred mechanism.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin