grub-devel

Re: grub2 ChangeLog conf/i386-pc.rmk conf/powerpc-i...

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: grub2 ChangeLog conf/i386-pc.rmk conf/powerpc-i...
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:19:08 +0200

Hello,

On Thursday 26 July 2007 00:28, Jerone Young wrote:
> This was no mistake. So here is the thinking here (I figured this
> would come up). The multiboot heads outside of the grub directory are
> not grub specific. This gives other operating systems or programs (in
> this case GPL 3 compatible operating systems) the ability to include
> these headers and use them. They mainly contain definitions that are
> not just specific to grub, but multiboot.

First of all, thank you for the great contribution! I guess I really must
finish writing up the specification now...

About the headers, I don't like the location, either. As I said before, the
purpose of GRUB is not to provide a library. Even if code can be reused, this
is out of our concern. And, more importantly, the reason why the header files
are put under grub/ is to avoid conflicts with system headers. Although the
probablity of having such a conflict on multiboot.h, I still prefer to
segregate our own headers under grub.

Thanks,
Okuji