grub-devel

grub on lvm2

From: Mark Hannessen
Subject: grub on lvm2
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 04:15:42 -0800

Hi list,

I have read on some websites that grub1.95 can boot from lvm
So I thought I'd give it a try.
I am quite new to grub2, so please forgive me my noobischness.
This is what i did:

1) I added /dev/hda to the physical extents ( pvcreate /dev/hda )
2) created a volume group on it ( vgcreate lvm2_core /dev/hda )
3) and created a boot partition on it ( lvcreate -L100M boot lvm2_core )
4) and wrote a partition on it: ( mkfs.reiserfs /dev/lvm2_core/boot )
5) mounted it on /boot and copied a bunch of grub .mod files to /boot/grub
6) created a config file called grub.cfg in /boot/grub/grub.cfg that looks like this:

# begin grub.cfg
set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry "My Linux Kernel on (lvm2_core-boot)" {
   set root=(lvm2_core_boot)
   linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram
   initrd /initrd

# end grub.cfg

so far so good (i hope..)
I now tried various combinations of grub-setup and grub-install but I can't seem to get it right...

could anyone give me a syntax that should work here?
or perhaps some documentation so I could figure it out myself..

thanks a lot!

Mark Hannessen