grub-devel

Re: grub on lvm2

From: Mark Hannessen
Subject: Re: grub on lvm2
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:00:35 +0000

> > # begin grub.cfg
> > set timeout=10
> > set default=0
> >
> > menuentry "My Linux Kernel on (lvm2_core-boot)" {
> >     set root=(lvm2_core_boot)
> >     linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram
> >     initrd /initrd
> >
> > # end grub.cfg
>
> I don't believe "set root" behaves properly. If that's the problem, you
> will need to duplicate that value into both following lines.

ok I now made it look like this:

menuentry "My Linux Kernel on (lvm2_core-boot)" {
    set root=(lvm2_core_boot)
    linux (lvm2_core_boot)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram
    initrd (lvm2_core_boot)/boot/initrd
}

> > I now tried various combinations of grub-setup and grub-install but I
> > can't seem to get it right...
>
> Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

this I used for my core.img

grub-mkimage -d /boot/grub -v -o /boot/grub/core.img ls ext2 gpt pc linux
_linux boot chain configfile fshelp help lvm

and this is the most far I got:

grub-setup -d /boot/grub -v -r '(lvm2_core-boot)' -m /boot/grub/device.map
'(lvm2_core-boot)'

grub-setup: info: prefix = /grub
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/boot.img
grub-setup: info: reading /boot/grub/boot.img
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/boot.img
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/core.img
grub-setup: info: reading /boot/grub/core.img
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/core.img
grub-setup: error: unknown device

why I grub probe I get the same:

grub-probe -v /boot/grub
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to /dev
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to i2c
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to lvm2_server1
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to lvm2_core
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to shm
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to pts
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to bus
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to usb
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to 004
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to 003
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to 002
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to 001
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to snd
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to sound
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to net
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to misc
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to pktcdvd
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to xen
grub-probe: info: changing current directory to mapper
cannot find a GRUB drive for lvm2_core-boot.

Mark