grub-devel

booting grub, loading kernels and unloading kernels question

From: adrian15
Subject: booting grub, loading kernels and unloading kernels question
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:06:56 +0100

A question. It may be stupid but I have to ask it.

Can we boot grub
and boot linux
so that
linux don't write on grub reserved memory (let's say first 640k)
And then make an special halt command
that halts linux and boots again grub? (without rebooting)

I think this has a lof of possibilities for using OSes as a grub module
in live cds but I do not know if it is feasible.

Currently I want an easy way of showing an image with a lot of colours in
grub without having to code vesa and all of that. (Talking about grub
legacy, as always ;) )

If this works... I will need to know how to patch the kernel and how to
strip gnu/linux distro to have only the display command or equivalent to
show images in framebuffer or equivalent.

adrian15