grub-devel

Re: booting grub, loading kernels and unloading kernels question

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: booting grub, loading kernels and unloading kernels question
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:45:15 +0100

"adrian15" <address@hidden> writes:

> Can we boot grub
> and boot linux
> so that
> linux don't write on grub reserved memory (let's say first 640k)
> And then make an special halt command
> that halts linux and boots again grub? (without rebooting)

GRUB depends on the BIOS to function.  I think linux changes the
hardware state too much.  So even if you can return to GRUB, I don't
think the hardware state is reliable enough for GRUB or the BIOS to
function reliably and properly, if it is possible at all.

> Currently I want an easy way of showing an image with a lot of colours in
> grub without having to code vesa and all of that. (Talking about grub
> legacy, as always ;) )

No.

> If this works... I will need to know how to patch the kernel and how to
> strip gnu/linux distro to have only the display command or equivalent to
> show images in framebuffer or equivalent.

Sorry, but I don't think it works like you hoped it would.

--
Marco