grub-devel

Re: A ready to run GRUB2 boot loader for the Genesi ODW ?

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: A ready to run GRUB2 boot loader for the Genesi ODW ?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:58:56 -0600

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 15:07, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>     http://www.blastware.org/grub2/

Looks helpful. :) Is there a particular reason you chose not to use the GRUB
wiki? It doesn't look like this information is OpenSolaris-specific...

That reminds me, how are you booting OpenSolaris using GRUB2 on PPC? With the
"linux" loader?

>     I put this page together such that people working on the PowerPC
> port can focus on more interesting things like the hardware address
> translation and the memory management layer.

I'm actually not sure what you mean by "hardware address translation and the
memory management layer"... could you elaborate?

From the page:
> PLEASE TAKE NOTE : You may choose to suspend GRUB2 in order to drop to the
> firmware however you will need to warm boot your system as you can not yet
> get back to the GRUB2 prompt.  This may be a flaw in the Pegasos2 firmware
> or the GRUB2 code.

This is a bug in Pegasos firmware. Genesi was notified a while back but I
haven't heard anything about a fix. In the meantime, you might be able to run
"resume" instead of "go" to get back.

If that does work, you could implement a patch that detects you're running on
CodeGen firmware (the original author) and sets a quirk/feature bit, then
output a different message in the suspend command. I believe we already
detect CodeGen firmware to work around a bug I found on the briQ, so you
would have an example to work from...

-Hollis