grub-devel

Re: Update Multiboot spec

From: James Buchanan
Subject: Re: Update Multiboot spec
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:57:24 +1000

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
In principle, we do not want to use the Multiboot Specification as helper functions. It is a boot protocol, but not an OS library. For example, CPUID is not necessarily useful to probe in a boot loader, since operating systems can probe it after the control is passed. There is no reason why a boot loader must handle it.

The most important goal of the next version of Multiboot Specification is portability. There are some ideas about this, but not decided yet. I hope you could help this.

You're right -- I got carried away there. I looked at GRUB's own support code and forgot to separate the two.

I'd be glad to help if I can. I'm working on some GRUB-2 code at the moment, studying it and trying to figure out some video card stuff.

James