grub-devel

Update Multiboot spec

From: James Buchanan
Subject: Update Multiboot spec
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:31:50 +1000

Is anyone working on an updated Multiboot specification?

If no, I think we should start one and make a page for it on the GRUB-2 devel wiki. It should have extra options to scan for the MP structure on IA-32 machines, generalize the video options as much as possible (give framebuffer address and device and manufacturer IDs, bus and function number, something like that -- would it work for PowerPC and other machines?), options for detecting all hardware (e.g. linked structures saying I found so-and-so PCI cards, so-and-so type of graphics/sound/ethernet cards, monitor type and ID, this system has ACPI, CPUID for IA-32, things like that.)

I'm just thinking out loud here. Does anyone want to help write a new Multiboot spec?

Thanks,
James