grub-devel

Re: config file

From: chaac
Subject: Re: config file
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:44:30 +0200

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
I'd like to redesign it in GRUB 2. One example is to write a boot entry like this:

entry "GNU/Hurd" {
  root=(hd0,0)
  multiboot /boot/gnumach
  module /boot/serverboot
}

This idea is to make a boot entry a kind of shell function.

What do you think?

I think it is good. Here is my idea how configuration files could be used to define menus:

splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/mainmenu.png

entry "Entry in main menu" {
}

entry "Load another config and execute it" {
        loadconfig (hd0,0)/boot/custom-config
}

menu "Linux kernels" {
        splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/linuxmenu.png

        entry "2.4 series" {
        }
        entry "2.6 series" {
        }

        menu "Network boot kernels" {
        }
}

menu "Other devices" {
        splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/devicemenu.png

        entry "Boot from Floppy" {
        }
        entry "Boot from CD/DVD" {
        }

        menuback "Back to mainmenu"
}

When someone enters to menu item it will execute commands specified there. Like loading a new splashimage or constructing new menu.

btw. is anyone working with that VESA support? :)... Last time there were couple of people that stated that they would work on it so as I had limited time then I didn't start.

I might be interested working on other GFX topics too.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen