grub-devel

config file

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: config file
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:28:59 +0100

I'd like to raise an issue about the config file.

In GRUB Legacy, the structure of menu.lst is ugly, because it has a
strange state when interpretting it. The semantics is that commands are
executed until the first "title" is encounterred. Afterwards, commands
are only "remembered" as boot entries. I think it would be more
straightforward if commands are always executed.

I'd like to redesign it in GRUB 2. One example is to write a boot entry
like this:

entry "GNU/Hurd" {
  root=(hd0,0)
  multiboot /boot/gnumach
  module /boot/serverboot
}

This idea is to make a boot entry a kind of shell function.

What do you think?

Okuji