grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] grub-mkimage

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] grub-mkimage
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:45:58 -0600

On Dec 3, 2004, at 10:10 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

AS Hollis said, I'm working on the relocator for PPC at the moment.
It is quite easy, but PPC_REL24 is a bit more complex. It is used for
relative jumps.  That means the module should be loaded close to
grubof, which IMHO really sucks...

24-bit offsets give you a 16 MiB range, is that really a problem?

The modules are loaded into the free memory of grubof.  And grubof is
loaded to where it is linked, IIRC.  So I think that would cause
problems. :)

I don't understand this. By "free memory of grubof" do you mean the heap? Right now, grubof is linked and loaded at 0x200000 (size is ~100KiB right now), and uses memory from 0x4000 to 0x200000 as heap space. That means the heap is well within the 16MiB 24-bit offset range.

Above grubof, we don't have much to worry about (on any system I know of) until 0x400000, which leaves about 1.5 MiB of totally unused space just above us. That space also falls well within the 24-bit offset range.

So why is there a problem finding a place to put modules that's close to grubof?

-Hollis