grub-devel

Re: Framebuffer

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Framebuffer
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:34:18 +0000

Johan Grip <address@hidden> writes:

> Marco Gerards wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Does this make sense or does this just suck?  I hope many people will
>> reply on this so I can start hacking ASAP.
>>
> This does indeed make sense. For the project I am involved in, AROS,
> we already use a patched version of GRUB with vesa support in it.
>
> Our patch allows GRUB to set a vesa mode before handing over control
> to the OS, so we do not need to mess with realmode stuff in our code.

This is a bit of a different discussion, I think (although related).
What you are suggesting is that the VESA part of the multiboot
specification should be implemented, right?  IIRC it is possible to
set a VESA mode just before booting the kernel if I remember the
multiboot spec correctly.  The code for that and the framebuffer can
be shared somehow.

Both a complete multiboot (or a new multiboot specification) and a
framebuffer for GRUB 2 are important to have IMHO.

Thanks,
Marco