grub-devel

PPC Port

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: PPC Port
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:12:28 +0200

Hi,

Some minutes ago I've committed the PPC port of GRUB 2.  It is not
completely done yet, this mail is to describe some bugs and short
comings of it.

- After the configure test the endian in config.h is not correct, you
  need to manually correct this after running configure.

- There is some problem with linking, for some weird reason only
  cross compiling works for me.

- It allocates memory that should not be allocated. (resulting in a
  crash in some cases).

- There is no loader yet.  I have written a linux loader, but it is
  far from done.

- Some things in the firmware are not clear to me yet.  I marked those
  with XXX.

- Modules.

But there is a lot that does work.  And that is just as important:

- Johan's ieee1275 functions.

- Accessing the disks like "cd", "hd" "ultra0", etc.  Just by using
  aliases instead of stupid device paths. :)

- Apple partition support.

- Console support (Capable of displaying the menu).

If someone has a question about this port, please ask me.
Unfortunately I won't have much time for GRUB hacking next months
because I'm quite busy with some other projects.  Do not worry, I will
come back and implement all missing features and every required
feature one can think of. :)

Thanks,
Marco