Re: Multiline Subject as PDF metadata

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Multiline Subject as PDF metadata
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 16:13:33 +0000

On Monday, 31 January 2022 08:15:55 GMT Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 1/28/22, Deri <deri@chuzzlewit.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> > If you are using -T pdf you
> > don't need to include -mpdfmark, this is documented in the gropdf man page
> > and the pdfmark.pdf is referenced.
>
> True, but just barely.  It's mentioned in one entry in the list of \X
> escapes.  This is down in a level of detail that a lot of gropdf users
> won't necessarily need, whereas at least the .pdfinfo macro under
> discussion is a document-level control knob.  But users won't know it
> exists unless they read every entry of the \X list *and* follow the
> pointer to pdfmark.pdf.
>
> And even for those users who do find it, the list item in question is
> less helpful than it could be:
>  * It directs users to pdfmark.pdf but gives no hint where to find this
> file. * It's vague about which pdfmark facilities are available by default
> in -Tpdf ("a subset" covering "most functionality," with no
> elaboration about what's included or excluded).
>
> I feel like the tie between gropdf and pdfmark should be mentioned
> near the top of the Usage section.  If the man page doesn't list all
> the macros available, it should at least mention two or three
> important ones and what they do, so users have some idea of the
> functionality available to know they should move along to a separate
> PDF file (which is often a couple more steps than just looking at
> another man page, so it's worth giving some incentive).
>
> That part could arguably come under the umbrella of
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?61958.

Pdfmark.pdf has been around longer than -T pdf, it is the best resource we have
for producing
pdfs with groff, and details the macros and how to use them. It is applicable
to grops as well as
gropdf if you process the postscript through a distiller.

PDFMARK is an extension to the postscript language, pdfmark.tmac is the groff
api to use those
extensions. Gropdf uses the same api because Keith did such a good job
originally, but there are
elements of a pdf which are not covered by the postscript extensions, so these
are described in
the gropdf man page.

Documentation can usually be improved and refined, as we have seen the
contributions of you
and Branden, and something which specifically documents how to produce pdfs
from groff is a
good idea. Of course the pdfmark extensions, and extras in pdf.tmac, are really
low level
commands, I suspect most groff pdf production is done either with -ms or -mom,
so a lot of the
information available is aimed at people who wish to integrate into their own
macros.

You are correct that gropdf man page should have a more prominent reference to
pdfmark.pdf
and perhaps a reference to it in the Files section, and the same could be said
for the grops man
page since many still use grops to produce pdfs.