Re: [groff] 03/09: tmac/an-old.tmac: Stop remapping ` and '.

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] 03/09: tmac/an-old.tmac: Stop remapping ` and '.
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 02:41:02 +1100

It's called Sun Gallant Demi (or simply "Gallant", as no other weights or
variations of it exist). It's the default console font of SPARC
workstations and SunOS/Solaris; OpenBSD used to use it, until they switched
to a much blander console font <https://github.com/fcambus/spleen>.

It's the only fixed-pitch serif typeface I've seen that pulls that look off
naturally. I wouldn't be lying if I said it looks better than half the
body-text fonts I usually come across.

There's a Linux version too, if you're interested:
https://github.com/talamus/solarize-12x29-psf

[image: image.png]

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 00:41, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> >> However, there exist virtually *zero* fonts that display ` as an
> >> acceptable left quote in a typographical way
> >
> > I'll just leave this hereā€¦
> >
> > [image: oUMj9e74.jpg]
>
> Nice!  Which font is this?
>

>     Werner